Good Introductory BooksAre you new to academic books in history, biblical, or religious studies? We've marked our books to help you - Click Here!
Garden City, MI 48135
Commentary on the Gospel of Thomas: From Interpretations to the Interpreted
(T & T Clark International, 2010)
Regular Price: $44.95 / Dove Price: $35.99
Regular Price: $110.00 / Dove Price: $87.99
This commentary is opened by a study offering information about all aspects of the Gospel of Thomas, especially about its relation to other texts of early Christian literature, including the canonical Gospels. The successive commentary is based upon the Coptic version and discusses also all fragments of the original Greek text. The volume is divided into two parts: The first discusses the function of each logion (saying) within the frame of piety and theology of the Thomasine group, for which the Gospel is composed; The second part discusses its literary shape and its history, including its relation to the historical Jesus. The result is a portrait of the Gospel as a radical interpretation of Jesus' heritage, still preserving some forgotten features of his teaching.
Table Of Contents
I. BASIC INFORMATION
5. Impact in Antiquity
II. THE MEANING OF THE LITERARY SHAPE
1. The Literary Shape--Wisdom, Prophecy?
2. The Gospel as Oral Message and as a Book
3. Problems with Transmission of Jesus¦ sayings
4. The Gospels as Feedback of Christian Proclamation and Prophecy
5. The Title of the Gospel of Thomas
III. A SOURCE FOR JESUS RESEARCH?
1. The Problem of Methodology
2. Gospel of Thomas--A Possible Source of Information about Jesus?
3. John and Thomas
4. The Gospel of Thomas and the Synoptics
5. The Two Streams of Christian Tradition--the Two Ways of Christian Reflection
6. The Layers of the Gospel of Tomas
7. The Name of Thomas and the Thomasian Writings
IV. THE SPIRITUAL WORLD OF THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS
1. Between Gnosticism and Mainstream Christianity (Characteristics of the Gospel of Thomas)
2. Theological Ideas of the Gospel of Thomas
I. A Successive Commentary on the Individual Sayings
II. Conclusion: The Meaning and Significance of the Gospel of Thomas